Friday, July 31, 2009

One of the Things I Do...

I Am An Animal Rescuer

My job is to assist God's creatures. I was born with the drive to fulfill their needs. I take in helpless, unwanted, homeless creatures without planning or selection.

I have bought dog food with my last dime. I have patted a mangy head with a bare hand. I have hugged someone vicious and afraid. I have fallen in love a thousand times and I have cried into the fur of a lifeless body too many times to count

I have animal friends and friends who have animal friends. I don't often use the word "pet". I notice those lost at the road side and my heart aches. I will hand raise a field mouse and make friends with a vulture. I know of no creature unworthy of my time.

I want to live forever if there aren't any animals in Heaven, but I believe there are. Why would God make something so perfect and leave it behind? Some may think we are master of the animals, but the animals have mastered themselves - something people still haven't learned.

But a rescue that makes the news gives me hope for mankind. We are a quiet but determined army and we are making a difference every day.
There is nothing more necessary than warming an orphan, nothing more rewarding than saving a life, no higher recognition than watching them thrive. There is no greater joy than seeing a baby play, who only days ago was too weak to eat. By the love of those who I've been privileged to rescue, I have been rescued. I know what true unconditional love really is........ for I've seen it shining in the eyes of so many, grateful for so little.

I am an Animal Rescuer....
My work is never done,
My home is never quiet,
My wallet is always empty,
My heart is always full.

No comments: